When to Test for Asbestos?
You’ve probably come across the term asbestos testing before, especially if you’re a homeowner, and you might have wondered, “When should I test for asbestos?” and “Who can test for asbestos?”.
Asbestos is a harmful mineral that can cause serious health issues if inhaled. Testing for asbestos is necessary for any building, especially if you plan to renovate or demolish it. If your house was built in the 80s or earlier, it is important to consider whether asbestos was used during construction. Asbestos was commonly utilized at that time due to its fire-resistant properties.
In this blog, we will walk you through when to test for asbestosl and how the right professionals can conduct these tests safely and efficiently. Let’s embark on this knowledge journey together!
Why Is it Important to Test for Asbestos?
As mentioned, asbestos is a hazardous mineral commonly used in construction materials, such as insulation, roofing, flooring, and ceiling tiles. It was not until the late 1970s that its use was banned due to its health risks. Asbestos fibers are easily released into the air and can be inhaled, leading to serious lung diseases such as mesothelioma, lung cancer, and asbestosis. Therefore, testing for asbestos before any renovation or demolition occurs to prevent these fibers from becoming airborne is crucial.
When Should You Test for Asbestos?
If you’re unsure if your home contains asbestos-containing materials (ACMs), it’s best to err on caution and get them tested before any renovation or demolition. However, there are specific situations when testing for asbestos becomes a necessity:
- When buying or selling a property that was built before 1970
- Before any major renovations or demolitions take place
- When there is damage to materials suspected of containing asbestos (e.g., water damage, wear and tear)
- If you’re planning on removing or disturbing materials that may contain asbestos (e.g., drilling, cutting, sanding)
It’s crucial to note that asbestos-containing materials are not always easily recognizable, and visual inspection alone cannot determine their presence. Therefore, if you’re unsure, it’s best to get a professional asbestos test conducted.
Benefits of Testing For Asbestos
Testing for asbestos is crucial in evaluating and addressing the risks associated with asbestos-contaminated materials (ACMs) in your home or workplace. Here are some key advantages of asbestos testing:
- Protection of Health: Asbestos exposure can result in serious health problems. Testing helps identify potential dangers, allowing you to take necessary precautions or arrange removal.
- Compliance with the Law: In many areas, property owners are legally required to manage and disclose the presence of asbestos to safeguard occupants and workers.
- Impact on Property Value: Knowing the asbestos status of a property can affect its value. A clean bill of health from asbestos testing can be beneficial during property transactions.
- Peace of Mind: Testing provides reassurance, ensuring that you, your family, or your employees are not at risk of asbestos exposure.
Who Can Test for Asbestos?
It is highly recommended that a professional asbestos company be called to conduct the testing process. These companies are well-equipped with trained professionals with years of experience handling asbestos-containing materials safely and efficiently. They can also provide proper identification, sampling, and laboratory analysis of ACMs.
If you’re planning on conducting DIY renovations, it’s crucial to remember that disturbing or removing asbestos-containing materials without proper training and equipment is extremely dangerous. Therefore, hiring a reputable company like Clean Cut Abatement is a must!
Hire A Professional Asbestos Company
Knowing when to test for asbestos is a proactive step in safeguarding your health and complying with safety regulations. Entrusting asbestos testing to certified professionals ensures accurate results and proper handling if ACMs are detected. Prioritize the safety of your environment and take the necessary steps for a secure and asbestos-free space.
At Clean Cut Abatement, we take pride in our work and value the safety of our clients. Our team consists of highly experienced professionals who follow strict safety protocols while conducting asbestos testing, abatement, and removal. Contact us today to schedule your asbestos testing!
Remove Asbestos Today
Don’t worry about the air you breath any longer; call in Detroit’s asbestos experts, Clean Cut Abatement.
We know exactly what to look for and how to remove any asbestos if it is found. We are a local and trustworthy business, which is exactly what you need in a potentially-dangerous situation such as this.
Contact us today to come out to your home if you recognize any of these signs or would like for an expert to look around. You can call us at 1-800-975-1697 or you can email email@example.com. Don’t spend another day breathing in toxic air!