Asbestos Do’s and Don’ts for the Homeowner
Even if you don’t know much about Asbestos, you know it is dangerous. It is more than just that though; it is deadly! It is certainly not something you want your family to breathe in. If you are planning to remodel your home or your home has damaged, aging building materials, you should have your home inspected for Asbestos-containing materials by a trained and accredited Bloomfield, MI Asbestos professional. This is because remodeling can disturb building materials and anything like crumbling drywall and insulation that is falling apart will release Asbestos fibers.
If you think there may be asbestos in your home, don’t panic. Simply follow a few Do’s and Don’ts, as told by industry experts:
- Leave undamaged Asbestos-containing materials alone.
- Have your needed abatement and a major repair done by people trained and qualified in handling Asbestos.
- Bring in a professional for sampling if you suspect Asbestos is in your home.
- Keep activities to a minimum in the areas of your home that have damaged material that may contain Asbestos
- Limit children’s access to any Asbestos or Asbestos-containing building materials around your home.
- Take every precaution to avoid damaging Asbestos-containing material.
- Attempt to get rid of your home’s Asbestos on your own.
- Track material that could contain Asbestos throughout the house. If you cannot avoid walking through the area with Asbestos, have it Cleaned with a wet mop. When in doubt, call an Asbestos professional to do the job.
- Dust, sweep or vacuum debris that may contain Asbestos.
- Saw, sand, scrape or drill holes in Asbestos-containing building materials.
- Use abrasive pads or brushes on power strippers to strip wax from asbestos flooring.
- Use a power stripper on tile flooring that may contain Asbestos.
- Sand or try to level asbestos flooring or its backing. When Asbestos flooring needs replacing, install the new floor covering over it.
- Put Asbestos or Asbestos-containing materials into the trash can and throw it away with the regular trash.
Essentially, the big “Don’t” is to do anything regarding your Asbestos or Asbestos-containing materials on your own. Never touch, sweep, clean, or do anything with Asbestos. It is toxic, and disturbing it could send particles into the air that everyone in your home breathes in. It should come to no surprise that it is illegal to simply collect and throw out Asbestos where it will sit in a landfill and release toxins. You need help! Removal is complex and must be done only by a trained and accredited Asbestos professional.
If the Asbestos-containing material is more than slightly damaged or could be disturbed, there are two types of actions that can be taken by trained and accredited Asbestos professionals in Bloomfield, MI: repair and removal. Removal may be required when remodeling or making major changes to your home will disturb any tainted material. As well, removal may be necessary if Asbestos-containing material is damaged extensively and cannot be otherwise repaired or encased. Which is right for your home and your situation? Reach out to Clean Cut Abatement to find out! We are the area’s leading experts on Asbestos.
Improper Asbestos removal may actually increase your and your family’s exposure to deadly Asbestos fibers. You’ll never need to worry about this when you have Clean Cut Abatement on your side. Contact us today!
Remove Asbestos Today
Don’t worry about the air you breath any longer; call in Detroit’s asbestos experts, Clean Cut Abatement.
We know exactly what to look for and how to remove any asbestos if it is found. We are a local and trustworthy business, which is exactly what you need in a potentially-dangerous situation such as this.
Contact us today to come out to your home if you recognize any of these signs or would like for an expert to look around. You can call us at 1-800-975-1697 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t spend another day breathing in toxic air!